Imagine a world that speaks just one language, celebrates the same festivals the exact same way, have the same stories and songs floating around.
This campaign is to bring consciousness about the less known languages and cultures that are otherwise missing from the mainstream narratives, digitally-document them, and upload them on Wikimedia Commons, the sister project of Wikipedia and home to millions of media files that can be shared and reused.
Read below to take part:
- Identify a less known linguistic or cultural heritage. A marginalized language, a less known dance, or folk song, a rare and unique game played in your community could be a good example.
- Take a picture, and/or record as audio/video.
• For audio and video try to record in a quieter place to avoid any background noise being recorded.
• Ensure that the radio or television or a music player is not being played in the background so that you don’t accidentally record any audio/video that is copyrighted by someone else.
- You can use tools like Miro Video Converter to convert audio into .wav or .mp3, and video into .webm as we need them in those formats
- Upload these images/audio/video on Wikimedia Commons (go to https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Special:UploadWizard to upload)
- Add the category “Media uploaded during DigitizeHeritage campaign” while uploading.
Keep an eye on your talk page for some surprises from us for your contribution!